Call of Duty: WWII Beta First Impressions

In April, Activision announced that Call of Duty would be returning their WWII roots. I wrote a brief piece on the announcement and outlined my hopes and fears that I have for their new game. After spending some time in the beta, I have found that some of them have come true.

In my first multiplayer match, it quickly became obvious that Sledgehammer Games had brought back the classic Call of Duty experience. No gimmicky jet boosting or wall running in this game, just good old-fashioned boots on the ground shooting. This was the most important change I wanted and I am happy they delivered. Since boosting and wall running was introduced in the games, getting kills and being killed became increasingly more annoying. I had to continuously be alert to my surroundings from all sides, leaving little time to look at my map or figure out how to connect with my teammates. Sure, it was fast paced but I never felt that I had time to plan movements or work together with my team. It was just a big free for all no matter the game type. Returning to strictly a running only approach allows for a more stable feel to the game.

The boosting and wall running also changed how maps were constructed. Developers dedicated more time to creating maps that catered to players running on walls and rooftops. This change sacrificed the development of natural chokepoints where all hell can break loose during a game of team deathmatch. Imagine Call of Duty 4’s legendary map Crash being used in Infinite Warfare. It would ruin all the fun that people have throwing grenades, camping and shooting at the helicopter and other places on the map. Players could just hover around, fly to rooftops and attack from where no one is looking. It would turn fun controlled firefights into utter chaos. Fortunately, it seems that Sledgehammer has ensured WWII returned to the old ways by creating their own choke points while leaving enough alone for players to feel more in control.

Unfortunately, not every aspect of the beta experience has been a positive one. There are serious gun balancing problems. Shotguns and snipers are usually overpowered to begin with but they are beyond super powered in the beta. I was getting blasted by shotguns from so far away that I had no time to react. I was also getting no scoped by snipers more than I ever have in COD. Watching the kill cams after I died only left me with more questions. They were no scoping so quickly I cannot even imagine they had enough time to aim properly but I still ended up dead. Betas are meant to fix the kinks and bugs before the final product is released so I am pretty confident the above issues will be addressed.

One of the strangest additions to the game is Divisions. It is Sledgehammers attempt to add something new to create-a-class and multiplayer in general. Players choose a division, either infantry, airborne, armored or mountain. The idea is that each of them have their own unique perks that cater to the individual’s playstyle. For example, mountain division favors snipers and provides perks that support that role, including being hidden from score streaks and killing without your victims being able to see you on kill cam. You still get to choose other perks but the division you choose provides their own perks just from being in it. So, if you want the perk that makes you invisible to the Recon Plane, the mountain division already has it, freeing you up space to use a perk you may not have picked if the division choice didn’t cover it.

Personally, I find this system to be pointless. They could have just given the player 3 slots for perks instead of 2, making the division concept relatively pointless. I am not sure what the purpose of the division is other than to provide unique perks and looks for your character. They could have just expanded create-a-class and they would have ended up with the same result, while simultaneously maintaining the familiarity of classic COD that players are craving.

The Call of Duty: WWII Beta has shown me that Activision and Sledgehammer Games took the complaints of players seriously by giving them the classic COD they wanted. Ditching the futuristic sci-fi setting for WWII will appeal to longtime players while simultaneously exposing new players to what made the game so successful to begin with. Hopefully the beta provided valuable feedback so they can fix some of the bugs before the game is released. I do not know if Call of Duty’s “old is new again” look will be enough to reclaim the ground lost to Battlefield 1 but I think it is a step in the right direction

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Pokemon GO Out and Play!

The End of Consoles

Never Graduate: Bully and Nostalgia