Return to Rapture

I started playing BioShock when it first came out in 2007. I just finished it last week and it took me 10 years to do it. I have previously written about why I think it takes me so long to finish a game so I won’t discuss that here. My only regret is that it took me this long to finally beat it.

The story of BioShock is both interesting and terrifying. The city of Rapture was designed to be a utopia for the elites, free from the constraints of human government and society. Its creator, Andrew Ryan is a bit of a megalomaniac and this becomes more apparent as the game goes on.
     
BioShock has one of the most dramatic opening sequences I have experienced in a game. Without giving too much away, you end up in the middle of the ocean, staring at a large tower protruding out of the waves beckoning you to approach. After entering, you start your mysterious journey into the underwater city of Rapture. Upon entry you quickly discover that something has gone very wrong. The whole city is in chaos and its residents have become psychotic drug addict murderers. Their drug of choice is “ADAM”. It allows the user to alter their genetic code in return for near super powers. These powers are a fundamental part of the game. The DNA is altered by injecting plasmids directly into the bloodstream. Some Plasmids allow the user to shoot fireballs from their hands, another allows you to pick up and throw objects through telekinesis.

In order to gain new powers more ADAM is needed and the only way to get it is through harvesting little sisters. Little sisters are little girls that have been brutally mutated into ADAM harvesters. They look like little girls but their glowing eyes and unnatural voices notify you that something is seriously wrong. Each little sister is protected by Big Daddy, which is a hulking metal behemoth that will attempt to kill anything that tries to harm the little sister. You have a choice whether to save them or harvest them for ADAM. Whatever you decide has consequences on the end game.

One of the things that struck me the most is that I forgot how much of a horror game BioShock truly is. The setting is subtlety and sometimes not so subtlety terrifying. Stranded in an enclosed city, miles under the ocean create a sense of claustrophobia that few games can mimic. The use of lighting is also used exquisitely to create a sense of fear. Shadows bounce around the walls and you never know if it is a citizen of Rapture trying to kill you. Various moments in the game are engineered to create a sense of dread. Sometimes there are sequences with pop up scares that work like a charm by frightening the hell out of me and I love every minute of it.


Most importantly the story is very well told and leaves you guessing until the end. BioShock is one of those rare games that truly change the game. It perfectly weaves story with game play that unfolds into and adventure experience that can’t be beat. I am happy I finally decided to finish the game after all of these years, I just wish I did it sooner. 

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Pokemon GO Out and Play!

The End of Consoles

Never Graduate: Bully and Nostalgia